Syringe and Plunger Force Testing
Testing sterile hypodermic syringes is critical to ensure that they are able to perform as expected in real-life situations. Typically, manufacturers are interested in testing the break-away force (force required to initially depress the plunger), the glide force (force required to keep the plunger moving), as well as the forces to aspirate and inject liquids. These specifications can be tested to ISO 7886-1 Annex G, or to internal quality guidelines.
The challenges of testing syringes are:
- Performing the testing in accordance with ISO 7886-1 Annex G
- Testing multiple syringe geometries
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard
- Performing the testing in accordance with ISO 7886-1 Annex G – Instron's custom engineering department has created a compliant testing fixture in accordance with ISO 7886-1 Annex G specifications.
- Testing multiple syringe geometries – The Instron syringe testing fixture can accommodate a wide variety of syringe sizes. It uses an insert that is machined to match the syringe diameter. Several inserts can be used for a variety of syringe designs.
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard – Bluehill® Universal testing software has advanced pre-built methods available with pre-configured biomedical specific calculations.
It is important to review the appropriate standard to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and result requirements.
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 6.8 MB
Instron 3300 Series Universal Testing Systems for Tensile, Compression, Bend, and other material property tests.
- 2.2 MB
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.
- 2.6 MB
Detailed description of fixture that is designed to evaluate the performance of syringes and syringe/needle combinations. Primary uses are determining breakaway forces at the beginning of injections as well as sustaining forces throughout the injection process.
- 0.7 MB
The Syringe Test Fixture is designed to meet the test requirements of ISO 7886-1 Annex G for sterile, single-use hypodermic syringes. It can easily be mounted to most universal testing systems.
- 265.2 KB