FAQs - Screw Driven Machines
How do I use the printer port on the back of my 4400 Console?
PRINTER MUST BE SERIAL (Dot Matrix) TO RUN FROM 4400 CONSOLEMust have the following settings on Printer:
BAUD RATE= (1200)
DATA BITS= (7)
STOP BIT= (1)
Note:Must use the RS232 Out Connecter on back of the 4400 console to plug the Printer into.
I have an auditor asking for software verification documentation and Instron accreditation information. Where can I find this information?
Instron software verification documentation, accreditations and certificates can be viewed and downloaded here
Is there a specific order to turn on a machine and computer?
What are my technical support coverages and options?
- Purchase a System Support Agreement. This provides you with priority in the call queue, remote access to our engineering staff, discounts and additional services for one full year.
- Sign-on to our Consultation Service line. This Fee based support provides you with priority in the call queue for those times that you just specific help.
- Limited Free Technical Support on a call back basis.
- Schedule a Field Service Engineer to visit your site.
What are the pin outs for my Load Cell or Extensometer?
Load Cell Connections:15 Pin Load Cell Plugs (DC Load Cells) Pin 3 -ve Output Pin 9 +ve Output Pin 1+ve Excitation Pin 5 -ve Excitation Pin 2 and 4 ID. Code Resistor or wire link
25 Pin Load Cell Plugs (DC Load Cells) Pin 18 -ve Output Pin 19 +ve Output Pin 4 and 5 Code Resistor or wire link
25 Pin Extensometer Plugs Pin 14 -ve Output Pin 15 +ve Output Pin 1+ve Excitation Pin 2 -ve Excitation Pin 4 and 5 ID. Code Resistor or wire link
DC Extensometers. 25 Pin Extensometer Plugs Pin 18 -ve Output Pin 19 +ve Output Pin 8 and 20 Wire link (4400 and 5500 machine only) Pin 21 and 23 Wire link Pin 4 and 5 ID. Code Resistor or wire link May also need to link pin 18 to pin 3(AGnd). Note: Where it says ID code resistor you can usually just put a jumper between those two points.
what do I do if I see a Watch Dog Error on my 1011?
(NOTE) these are located at the top right of the CPU Board that is attached to the door that swings open on the console.
(X30) +5 VOLTS
(NOTE) These are located at the Bottom of the CPU Board.
(X42) –15 VOLTS
(X43) +15 VOLTS
Note:If voltages are off contact Instron Support for help.
(Note)If Voltages are Good. On the CPU Board there are 2 RAM Chips, Ram 0 and Ram 1. One of them will have the word Dallas on it. They are close to the smaller board that piggy- backs on the Board.
A) Turn power off on frame, Swap Chips.
B) Turn power back on, after a few seconds turn the power back off.
C)Swap backs Chips, Turn power on.
D) If watch dog error goes away you are all set.
What is the lowest load measurement I can take with my load cell?
- For 5800 systems: +/-0.4% of reading down to 1/100 of load cell capacity +/-0.5% of reading down to 1/500 of load cell capacity
- For 5500 systems: +/-0.4% of reading down to 1/100 of load cell capacity +/-0.5% of reading down to 1/250 of load cell capacity
- For 4500/8500/8800 systems: +/-0.5% of reading down to 1/250 of load cell capacity (4500) +/-0.5% of reading down to 1/100 of load cell capacity (8500/8800)
- For 4200/4300/4400 systems: +/-0.5% of reading down to 1/50 of load cell capacity (through IEEE) +/-1.0% of reading down to 1/100 of load cell capacity (through IEEE) +/-0.5% of reading down to 1/10 of load cell capacity (through display) +/-1.0% of reading down to 1/50 of load cell capacity (through display)
- For an 1100,1120 or 2150 system +/-0.25% of the range in use or +/-0.5% of the indicated load, whichever is greater.
- For 1130 & 3211 systems: +/-0.5%of the range in use.
What should I do if my 4400 or 4200 Frame stops before the end of a test?
What should I do if there is a communications error between my computer and the machine frame?
Most communication errors can be solved by powering down all equipment, including machine frame, control tower and computer. They should then be powered back on in the following sequence: machine frame, control tower and computer. This should result in communication being re-established. If not, check all cables and connections and perform the restart that was described above. If this does not fix your problem, then please call Instron Tech Support at 1-800-473-7838. Please make sure that you have all relevant serial and model numbers at hand when calling.
What should I do if there is a communications error between my machine and the controller?
Why do I get an error message when I try to run Series IX on my machine?
Why do I have a timer light on my 4000 system console?
Why do I see an error about the control requirements when starting a test?
Why do I see an error message on my 1011 display?
Why is my motor light lit on my 4000 series console?
The following could be the problem:
- The frame to console cable could be loose. With the power turned off to the machine, make sure that the cable is securely attached with the securing screws on the connector to both the frame and the console.
- There is a motor door on some table models; make sure that the access door to the motor is securely closed. If unsure if your system has a motor access door or its location, consult the load frame manual for your system.
- The Emergency Stop Switch may be activated. This can be released by turning the Red Emergency Stop button clockwise. Power down, wait 10 seconds, and power back up.
- The mechanical travel limit may be activated. Release the locking screw on the limit stop to allow the limit rod to relax, and then re-tighten. Power down, wait 10 seconds, and power back up.
Why is the crosshead on my system not moving?
- Ensure the machine has been enabled by depressing the frame icon on the Merlin Console (Consult your operator manual) and the green "Frame Ready" LED is illuminated on the control panel.
- Ensure the emergency stop switch is not depressed. Consult your system operator manual for proper setting.
- Check the travel limit on side of the column is not activated. Consult your system operator manual for proper setting.
- Ensure the test speed is not set to zero. If the problem persists, please use our Service Support Form (refer to the [question number] located at the end of each question and provide your model and serial number). Service and Technical Support Form
Why is the travel light lit on my 4000 series console?
Will my Load Cell need an adapter to work on another Instron frame?
Load Cells 4200/4300 4400 4500 5500 8500
2518-800 (Series) 0 2525-001
2525-001 2525-800 (Series) 2525-002 0 2525-002
2525-002 2518-100/600 (Series) 0 2525-001 0 2525-001 0
2511-100/200 (Series) 2503-045 2525-001 2503-045 2525-001 N/A
2511-300/400 (Series) 2503-045 2503-045 & 2501-045 & 2503-045& N/A (2525-001)
2512-100 (Series) 0 2525-001 0 2525-001 N/A
2512-200 (Series) 0
NOTE: “0” Used as is, No Adapter cable required