Is it Time to Upgrade Your Environmental Chamber?
Welcome to the 60th edition of the accessories newsletter. In this issue: Do you need to budget for a new environmental chamber?
Environmental chambers are used to study the behavior of materials at both high and low temperatures, between +600 and -150º C. Instron has been supplying environmental chambers for over 50 years, and although the physical wear and tear on a chamber is minimal, third-party supply issues, regulation changes, and material availability mean that the parts and materials used to repair older chambers become more and more difficult to source over time. A number of components, such as older-model controllers, handsets, and circuit boards, are no longer available. Because of this, all chambers eventually reach a point in their life cycle where they are no longer supportable.
There are two primary reasons for upgrading your environmental chamber. The first is peace of mind: many labs cannot afford to wait the weeks it may take to raise funds, order, receive, and install a replacement chamber should their existing one fail. The second is all the benefits of using a fully-supported, current product and the newer features that come with it, such as:
- Improved window heating and clarity to aid in the use of video extensometry
- Integration with Bluehill® Universal providing optimum communication and control
- Improved efficiency using soak-time control
- Full support within the Bluehill Universal TestProfiler module for advanced applications
Chamber Types and Product Life Cycle Status
Thousands of Instron chambers are currently in use on systems across the globe. These chambers cover a wide range of designs and manufacturing dates. If you are unsure of your system's status, please check the list below or contact your local Instron representative.
- The 3119-0xx series chambers were first introduced in 1990 and were produced until the early 2000's when they were superseded by the 3119-4xx series. 3119-005, 3119-006, 3119-007, 3119-008, 3119-009, and 3119-010 are discontinued and in phase 4 of the product life cycle.
- The 3119-500 series chambers with serial numbers lower than 5000 were manufactured between 2004 and 2008. Chambers with serial numbers lower than 5000 are in phase 4 of the product life cycle. 3119-505 and 3119-506 chambers are either in phase 2 or 4 depending on their serial numbers.
- 3119-405, 3119-406, 3119-407, 3119-408, 3119-409, and 3119-410 are all currently in phase 2.
- 3119-6xx chambers are in phase 1 and are fully supported.
If your Instron chamber uses a different catalog number, don't hesitate to ask your local office for support details by sending in a photograph of the name plate and serial number.
Starting Your Upgrade
Current chambers are sized to match existing roller mounts and push/pull rods. So unless your application or load string has changed, your chamber can be replaced with minimal downtime and changes to your system. If you are interested in upgrading to a 3119-600 Series Environmental Chamber, please contact your local Instron representative or fill out our online contact form.
For additional information about 3119-600 Series Environmental Chambers, read Issue 55 of the Accessory Newsletter.