ASTM D638-14 Tensile Properties of Plastics
The challenges of testing to this standard are:
- Repeatable strain measurement
- Secure gripping of varying specimens
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard
- Repeatable strain measurement – An extensometer is required by the standard to accurately measure strain. Advanced strain solutions include non-contacting extensometers, such as the Advanced Video Extensometer (AVE 2) and automatic contacting extensometers, such as the AutoX 750. These solutions have the accuracy to measure modulus as well as strain to failure and require little influence from the operator, resulting in improved repeatability. Clip-on extensometers such as 2630-112 or 2630-111 also meet the measurement accuracy stated in ASTM D638-14
- Secure gripping of varying specimens – Mechanical wedge grips or pneumatic side-acting grips with serrated faces are suitable for most rigid and semi-rigid plastics
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard – Instron Bluehill® Universal testing software has advanced pre-built methods available with pre-configured plastic specific calculations helping to ensure compliance
It is important to review ASTM D638-14 in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
The Plastics Testing Solutions brochure is a 40-page, applications-focused, and standards-based brochure. Important standards such as ISO 527-1, -2, -3, ISO 11443, ISO 75, ASTM D638, Astm D3835, are covered in a detailed testing challenge and solution format. The brochure addresses the most prominent and widely-used standards in the materials testing industry for plastics. Test types such as Impact, Rheology, Thermo-Mechanical, Specimen Preparation, Mechanical Testing, Dynamic/fatigue, and Hardness are described in great detail.
- 2.1 MB
The second generation Advanced Video Extensometer (AVE 2) utilizes patented measurement technology in the fastest, most accurate non-contacting strain measurement device commercially available. The device dramatically reduces errors from thermal and lighting variations that are common in most labs. It can easily be adapted to nearly every testing system in your lab.
- 1.3 MB
The AutoX 750 is a high-resolution, long-travel automatic contacting extensometer. It can be mounted onto any electromechanical 3300, 5500, or 5900 table top and floor model systems, as well as LX, DX, HDX, and KN static hydraulic testing systems. It is well suited for applications involving plastics, metals, biomedical, composites, elastomers, and more. The AutoX has a maximum travel of 750 mm and accuracy of ± 1 µm.
- 1.4 MB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 2.8 MB
The newest automated testing systems for plastics: the TestMaster AT3 for tensile testing and the TestMaster AT3+ for tensile and flex testing. These automated systems are designed to meet the testing requirements of ASTM D638 and D790, as well as ISO 527 and 178.
- Press Releases
- 108.1 KB
Instron® testmaster™ 2 Automated Specimen Handling Systems enable a new dimension in testing productivity. Available as either complete turnkey solutions or installed on existing Instron testing instruments, the unique modular design accommodates tensile, flex, and hardness testing. System configurations consist of either a robot or a carousel for rotary specimen handling. Materials tested include metals, plastics, thin films, components, elastomers, and medical devices.
- 9.0 MB
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.
- 1.4 MB