Stud Pull Test for Electronics
The surface mount assemblies of electronic packages used in the microelectronic and semiconductor industries require adhesives to be applied between a die and substrate, such as applying underfill adhesives for bonding flip chips, chip scale packages (CSPs), and ball grid arrays (BGAs). Experts in electronics packaging are looking to understand the bond strength of different adhesives and seek to conduct a failure analysis of the bond. This can be achieved using a stud pull test, commonly applied to die or chip packages of 10mm x 10mm and above.
- Specimen preparation
- Studs used must be compatible for various die sizes
- Correct alignment to ensure axial force in tensile test
- High temperature testing may be required
- Instron offers an easy to use specimen preparation fixture that is capable of achieving high temperatures (maximum 350°C). These fixtures allow the operator to bond studs to the die package using adhesives. The fixture can apply a constant force, enabling correct alignment, which is extremely critical to the stud pull test.
- In addition to the specimen preparation fixture, the stud pull fixture has upper and lower fittings with self-aligning swivels in both upper and lower sections to accurately mount the studs bonded to the specimen.
- Instron’s stud pull fixtures are available for conducting the test under high temperatures. High temperature chambers are also available.
- Instron offers various sizes of stud sets ranging from 2mm x 2mm to 50mm x 50mm
2860 Series Stud Pull Fixture catalog number 2860-300
- 113.3 KB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 2.8 MB
Instron 3300 Series Universal Testing Systems for Tensile, Compression, Bend, and other material property tests.
- 12.0 MB
Bluehill® 3 is the newest version of Instron’s widely popular Bluehill Software, designed to meet the demands of any level of user from educators and test technicians to, quality engineers and laboratory managers. Compatible with 5900, 3300 and 5500 systems.
- 2.0 MB